Sometimes you cannot prevent breaking out no matter what you do (hello hormones and that lovely time of the month). I have stuggled with acne in the past and honestly it took me a long time to find what worked. Not to say I still don’t get an occasional breakout, but for the most part I have my skin under control. I will go over a couple of quick tips to prevent breakouts but I will be talking mostly about my skincare routine when I do get the occasional breakout. SIDE NOTE: I’m no dermatologist, I just have a lot of experience with dealing with skincare issues and like to share what has worked for me. X
Tips to prevent acne
- Drink lots of water.
- Don’t use your phone against your face, use speakerphone or headphones instead.
- Change your pillow cases every week.
- Use a clean towel to dry your face after the shower every time. I just like to have clean washcloths on hand to dry my face that way.
- Don’t touch your face, like leaning on your hand while sitting at your desk – or picking at your face, that’s a no-no too.
- Clean your makeup brushes at least once a week.
- Follow your skincare routine and never go to bed with a dirty face.
Skincare Routine For Breakouts
- wash your face as soon as you wake up
- use a calming mask
- spot treat
- use a moisturizer, I like gels like this one
Makeup Tips When You Have a Breakout
- keep it minimal
- use a light foundation, if any
- use a healing concealer
- when you have to wear makeup, wash it off as soon as you can/are done with your event
When you are all healed and think it’s over you might have a little friend called an acne scar. Although scarring is worse when you pick and pop, this can happen even if you don’t pick at your face at all. This is where my saviour vitamin c comes in to play. Get a vitamin c serum or mask to get the most boom for your buck but I’ll link all my favorites below.